Toralf Lund wrote:
> Eric Featherstone wrote:
>
>> On 06/07/06, Toralf Lund <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>

>>> I was talking about the number of different voltage levels that may be
>>> output from the sensor itself. That number is not necessarily 4096; it
>>> is the analogue-to-digital converter that has 4096 different values.
>>>

>> Toralf, the sensor is an _analogue_ device, of course it produces more
>> than 4096 voltage levels. It produces an _infinite_ number of levels
>>

> I'm afraid not. A CCD can only output a certain set of distinct voltage
> levels. I think Godfrey explained this earlier.
I should perhaps add that there are at least two different factors that
come into play here. One is the actual charge at the photo site - which
can only take one of a certain number of discrete levels (i.e. it is not
a continuous range), the other is the electric noise in the system.
Adding noise to the system essentially means that you will no longer be
able to tell nearby charge-levels a part, thus reducing the number of
usable output "values".

I'm not sure *exactly* what the numbers are in today's DSLR sensors, but
I don't think the final figure can be that much higher than 4096. I was
speculating that it might be, say twice as large or 4 times as large.
But maybe they don't dimension the systems that way; perhaps the fact
that a 12-bit A/D was chosen actually indicates that the number close to
4096, or at least significantly smaller than 8192.

And again, I certainly think that the actual relations here has impact
on the exposure considerations we are discussing.

- Toralf