From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> I plan to move in 6-8 months out of California.

> Then when I sit down to figure it out, seems like if I want to see everything
> I want to see it could run into big bucks (motel rooms are expensive these
> days). So I started thinking I may have to do some tent camping to see
> everything. Starting probably in August.
>
> Never camped alone as a woman, bit intimidating.
>
> Been sort of figuring out the basic camping gear I need for tent camping. No
> frills. No backpacking.
>
> Anyway, anyone with any suggestions about camping gear I wouldn't mind
> hearing them. I also wouldn't mind hearing suggestions on tent camping in
> general.
>
> Tent camping to me means the camps are easily accessible by car and no RVs
> are involved.

In general, small tents are better than big ones when you're trying to put them
up by yourself. Make sure you can handle the job.

You get what you pay for when it comes to tents. You'll be putting it to some
heavy duty use so get a good one.

Never pitch your tent under large dead branches. You don't want one crashing
down on top of you.

You'll want one of those camping pads. It's a piece of foam rubber in a nylon
shell with a valve on it. Open the valve and unroll it then blow it up a little
bit and you'll be good to go.

Most national park campgrounds do not have showers. Most state campgrounds
(around here anyway) do. State campgrounds are cheaper than the private ones.
Check for showers before you pay your $. I avoid private campgrounds as much as
I possibly can. The state campgrounds offer much better photo opportunities in
my experience.

Try to put your tent somewhere near the bathroom.

Pack lots of plastic bags to keep your camera gear dry. I use the ziplock ones.

You'll need a flashlight. Get one you can recharge in your car if you can.

Take a claw hammer with you to drive the pegs in and remove them again.

A one burner stove would be convenient for making coffee, tea or instant
oatmeal. You could also heat soup etc on it. You'll want to drink something hot
in the evenings when it gets chilly.

Do not stay in the tent during a thunderstorm. Wait it out in the car.

That's what I can think of right now. I hope it helps.

Tom Reese