On Sat, Jul 08, 2006 at 05:27:01PM +1200, David Mann wrote:
> On Jul 8, 2006, at 4:23 AM, John Francis wrote:
>
> > One or other of the "Smart Undelete" utilities is your friend.
> > Even now, after the fact, you may be lucky enough to be able to
> > recover the deleted file, but you're far better off if "Delete"
> > just marks the file for deletion and hides it somewhere.
>
> Do they work if the overwriting file has the same name?

Absolutely.  The version hidden away is given a distinct file name.
I've got as many as a dozen versions of some old files lying around.

> I'll have a look around to see what's available on the Mac platform,
> but that may take longer than just rescanning it.
>
> - Dave

Unfortunately Norton System Works for the Mac appears to have been
discontinued in 2004, so that isn't a very good option (although
I'm sure that version, which was updated for OS X, should still
run just fine on any current Mac, if you can find a copy).

A quick google suggests Data Recycler from macsense.com.au) may
be worth a look, although it's not cheap.  TechTool Pro from
Micromat is another possibility at around the same price point.