Bob,

Do your work in the raw converter, not on converted JPEGs.  When you get
the hang of RAW you'll be able to reduce the time you spend on making
conversions substantially.  Get "The Book."

Bob, yesterday I converted something like 30+ pics using a new and an
established preset in the ACR converter.  Total time to the finished images
about 2 minutes.  The rest of the time spent was the usual final cropping
and tweaks.  When you get the hang of it, it can be fast.  Don't give up
just because it's slow and unfamiliar in the beginning.

Shel