Don Williams wrote:

>I've been watching this thread for a while and can no longer be silent.
>This is the biggest load of bullshit I've seen in ages. I just did two
>calculations for 4000 kgs and 2000 kgs of cartons (holding about twenty
>cameras each) across the Atlantic from Toivakka to New York -- door to
>door.
>
>The TNT Air Freight cost would be 22.97 Euro per kilogram for a shipment
>of boxes that total 4000 kgs. If anyone doesn't believe this go to the
>TNT website and do the calculation yourself. I think 4000 kgs is a large
>quantity. Yes? Or is the poster (I can't remember who posted the
>original rubbish) going to say 4000 kgs is not a large enough quantity.
>By the way *the more you send* the cheaper it gets!
>
>Don

I said large quantities, and I meant it. I'm talking by the multiple
containerload. 747-400F's are relatively cheap to operate, the larger
freight aircraft aren't so cheap, and are rather limited availability
(which drives up the price).

So, 4000kgs is not a large quantity, it's rather small actually when a
single container is 10 times that. Remeber we are talking items that run
around 1kg in packaging and are produced in quntities of 30,000+ a
month. Shipments are not going to be 4000kgs

The numbers I was referencing were old (I cribbed them from an early
90's text on cheap access to space), and it's quite possible that the
prices have come down by an order of magnitude, but not two.

-Adam