John Forbes wrote:

>Are you accusing me of talking bullshit?  You, the immortal genius who
>claims that trans-Pacific airfreight costs $1,000 per pound when it
>actually costs just over $1.00?

Actually, the best numbers for large quantities and masses that have
been quoted here was $25/lb (Paul's two cars), and a much smaller
shipment was $15/lb (William's 1000lb pallet). At least I'm willing to
admit my numbers were wrong. Yours are only right for very small
quantities (the size of which that can fit in passenger aircraft, where
much of the cost is subsidized by paying passengers, and the aircraft
are significantly more efficient (See previously posted numbers on
747-400ER vs 747-400ER freighter range, taken from Boeing's site this
morning).

>The supreme Economist who claims that things go up in price the more you
>buy?  And who hasn't worked out that if it costs more per unit to buy two
>of something than one of something, then people will buy one, twice?

Somebody doesn't understand that for very large quantities, some
shipping methods are simply not economical due to lake of ability to
scale. Everything has a limit to which you can scale it, above which the
costs go up because you start losing efficiency or simply run out of
capacity (for which you aren't the sole customer). Air Freight doesn't
scale particularly well beyond a certain point. Which is why most things
are still shipped by sea and rail for long distances. Also, economies of
scale only apply for mass produced iems when you aren't exceeding
production capacity. Call caterham and order 1000 cars and see how much
more they cost per unit a single car (Caterham hand builds sportscars)

>You are a moron, my friend, plain and simple.
>
>John

I'd rather be a moron than someone who's ignorant of logistics,
economies of scale and basic math.

-Adam