Actually I know quite a few painters, most do at least some studies
using photographs as a starting point.  Those who have stayed with SLR's
tend to discuss Lenses and Bodies, (equipment) or F stops and shutter
speeds, (technique), with the best of them, so I would say in this case
they fall into the category of photographer.  Those who've gone digital
tend to use medium resolution P&S cameras and, tend to talk about home
brewed beer, gourmet coffee, national, and international politics
respectively.  Never had a conversation as to which sable brush was
better for oil vs. water color etc.

--
When you're worried or in doubt,
        Run in circles, (scream and shout).