Thanks Mark, Shel, Paul.

Paul i use the Channel Mixer to, but i seem to be able to get the
general conversion ok, but its that fine tweak, that still gives me
problems. Same as when i printed at home, pic's are grey and white,
not black and white.

Shel, you may not read this as your TTFN, but, i agree, my stuff
stinks, but i think i do know what it SHOULD look like, i just can't
seem to get the worklflow to the point of MAKING IT look like
that.(sorry for the shout:-))

I seem to be able to get decent results in the school darkroom, just
can seem to get past curves and layers yet.

I know a ton of practise and playing is required, i just give up to
quickly.:-)

My edit programs are 99% PS, was ver 6 now CS.

Thansk again.

Oh, i found the link in a past pdml email about a curves tutorial,
from Collin i think, and have it BM and printed out.

Dave

Quoting Shel Belinkoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Hello, Dave ...
>
> Perhaps you might start by telling us what conversion processes you've been
> using.  There are numerous methods and techniques available.
>
> Also (and please take this in the spirit it's intended) your B&W work
> generally is pretty poor.  I don't tink you really know what good B&W is
> supposed to look like.  There are numerous styles that have been used over
> the years, ytet your work has always seemed lacking in shadow detail,
> contrast, and tonality.  Can you get to some galleries or museums and spend
> some time looking at good, exhibition quality,  B&W silver prints.  Maybe
> see a style that's similar to what you want yopur prints to look like, and
> then work towards that objective.
>
> In addition, it may be helpful to know what editing program you're using.
> I seem to reacll that you're using more than one, and maybe it would help
> if you chose one and stayed with it, learning it well and mastering the
> features you need to get the results you want.
>
> There's a program that I've used that helps with B&W conversions that's
> really good - best I've found on the 'net.  Go to
> http://www.theimagingfactory.com/ and download Convert to B&W Pro and see
> how you like it.
>
> TTFN, TTYL, YMMV,
>
> Shel