On 7/20/06, Tom C <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2006/19jul_seaoftranquillity.htm
>

> Tom C.

Tom,

Thanks for that link.  It was spooky reading it, "hearing" phrases
that (I didn't realize) were etched in my memory.

"Houston, Tranquility Base Here;  the Eagle has Landed."  We broke
into cheers when we heard that one.

"That was one small step step for a man, one giant leap for mankind."
I told my father that was pretty good thinking, then he told me he was
pretty sure that Neil had made it up ahead of time.  <g>

I was 12 years old, and it seemed that we'd spent the whole summer in
front of our TV, a little black and white "portable" job.  We didn't
have cable yet, the picture was fuzzy (which was okay, because the
broadcasts from the moon were pretty fuzzy anyway, and even then, I
liked fuzzy <g>), but the whole family sat in front of that little TV
in our playroom, watching intently.

What now amazes me about that whole mission is the fact that it
actually got there and back.  Some four or five years ago, I read that
all those banks of computers with the flashing lights and winding
spools of magnetic tape had less power than the average desktop - and
that was 5 years ago!

After spending the summer of 68 watching American cities burn, it was
uplifting and inspiring to see mankind striving successfully for
peace.  These guys were my childhood heroes, the Mercury and Gemini
astronauts, and landing on the moon was the culmination of that.

Of course we didn't realize at the time it was all an elaborate hoax,
filmed on a Hollywood backlot.  <LOL>

For our generation, where you were when we landed on the moon was one
of those things "we never forgot" (just like where we were when we
heard about JFK's assassination ).

Thanks for that link, Tom!

cheers,
frank