[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> =======
> People who think the earth or nature can recover from anything thrown at it,
> tend to scare me. I have seen environmental degradation in my lifetime. It's
> not hard to see if you are looking. Whether or not global warming or an ice
> age
> (I remember that too) will result from pollution is a moot point to me. We
> may not be able to predict the future as well as we think because there are
> always unforeseen factors, but SOMETHING will result. Less arable land, less
> food,
> less drinking water is likely. So maybe people need some scaring to think
> about how their own actions can affect nature. To think about alternatives.
>
> I can't defend the science either way. But mankind's rampant growth resulting
> in a negative impact on nature is fairly clear to see.
>
> Marnie aka Doe

Marnie, very well put -- and I'm with you 100%.
I guess I need to see the Gore film even though, in my case,
the film would be preaching to
the choir I'm in....
I'm also scared by people who divide every issue into
"liberal" and "conservative"
"right" and "left" and dismiss the Gore film on that basis.
NY times, btw, ain't
so liberal as it usta be, and "looking at both sides of the
story" as a line tops
off a lot of stories.

Just happened to have jumped back from lurking to see
today's comments on list...

The assaults on the environment that I've witnessed and that
were pointed out to me
by my geology professors in the late 60's and early 70's
made me pay attention.

Not to mention "Silent Spring."

Unfortunately, I think the audience for the the film Gore
narrates is largely going to
be made up of people who have some inkling of the mess we
have put the environment in
and possibly Gore being the person who narrates the film may
make it harder for some to
see the points of the film or want to see the film at all.

Ann