Sure, but on FWD, you still cant do that easily, it has to come out the
bottom, and on most of the ones I've seen, you have to still remove alot
of stuff before you can do that.  Again, its because the two half shafts
are connected to the transaxle and the front wheels, which in turn is
connected to a bunch of suspension stuff.  And the ones I've seen also
cant go down without taking some frame members off because the transaxle
sticks out the side too much.  I dont claim to have seen them all, and
as Godfrey points out, there are exceptions to both sides, but generally
speaking most of the FWD drive trains have the same rough removal procedure.

--
Someone handed me a picture and said, "This is a picture of me when I
was younger." Every picture of you is when you were younger. "...Here's