On Jul 26, 2006, at 10:01 AM, Mark Roberts wrote:

> GFM photo event organizer Don Nelson won't be there (for the first
> time in who knows how many years) as he'll be in the hospital
> undergoing the most intensive stage of his chemotherapy. That's where
> they zap him with so much chemo and radiation that it kills all his
> bone marrow cells and they have to give him a transplant of his own
> previously harvested bone marrow. And then keep him in "clean room"
> conditions until his immune system recovers. Serious stuff.

Yes, that's right.  I've been talking regularly to Don.  I don't envy
him this, but his attitude is upbeat and everyone who has had any
dealings with cancer knows that attitude is at least 50% of the
cure.  A model I know was told early this year that she had advanced
esophageal cancer and three months maximum to live.  She decided that
she was not going to die, and was going to be there for her daughter
as she grows up.  She was on chemo until last week.  Her latest scans
showed no sign of the cancer, and they took her off chemo.  I think
her attitude is what made the cancer go away.

> Also, it appears Bob Shell won't be able to make it as a speaker. Big
> let-down there.

Unfortunately, that is true as well.  I really wanted to come and had
prepared a nice talk.   Maybe next year.

> The absence of Don and Bob will probably influence my eventual
> decision about attending. On the other hand, if I'm not there I may be
> on the receiving end of some drunken midnight phone calls...

Don and I are certainly not the main reasons for going, so I hope our
unfortunate absence won't keep anyone from attending.

Bob