The best description I found is here:

http://tinyurl.com/pwsck

If what the author says is correct, then its a very clever scheme to
allow power from both the engine and the motors to contribute via the
differential like device.  So it must make a smooth transition to the
engine as the speed goes up, and the motors can contribute if you need
to accelerate, adding their power.  So technically, it sounds like there
is no transmission in the conventional sense?

It sounds like Peter is wrong about the motor being the only connection
to the wheels, but he does mention something about mechanical power
being shunted.  I'm not sure I understand the terminology enough to
dispute this.  I've never seen one in detail mechanically either.

Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:
> On Jul 26, 2006, at 9:26 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>

>>Now you are talking about Prius and its "transmission is
>>continuously-variable gearing".  No such thing.  The "transmission" is
>>an electric motor/generator.  There is a second motor/generator
>>attached to a gasoline engine (it should have been diesel for even
>>more
>>efficiency).  Power is shunted around between all the components, both
>>electrical power and mechanical power.  But ultimately an electric
>>motor is attached to the drive shaft and the continuous nature of
>>it is
>>due to electric motor characteristics, not to any fancy gearing.
>

> Interesting, thank you. I'm still learning how the Prius drive system
> works.
>
> The notion of "continuously variable transmission" and what you
> describe is effectively the same in practical use, isn't it? I agree
> that the nomenclature is fuzzy.
>
> However, I am confused by your description. My understanding is that
> at highway speeds the gas engine is what's driving the wheels, not
> the electric motor, but that the electric motor's output is fed in to
> assist the engine's power output as required. This is indicated on
> the in-dash monitor panel as well. How can this happen if, as you
> way, "ultimately the electric motor is attached to the drive shaft"?
> Wouldn't the output power be limited to the electric motor's 67 hp in
> that case? It certainly doesn't accelerate from 70 to 90mph as if
> that's the case.
>
> I haven't yet found a detailed drawing or photographs of all the
> components in the Prius'  drive system to be able to fully understand
> how it works. If you know of any available on line, let me know.

Someone handed me a picture and said, "This is a picture of me when I
was younger." Every picture of you is when you were younger. "...Here's
a picture of me when I'm older." Where'd you get that camera man?
- Mitch Hedberg