Den 26. jul. 2006 kl. 23.49 skrev John Forbes:

> On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 17:30:37 +0100, John Francis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>

>> And, of course, for the maths department you need to hire the
>> resident
>> loon on sci.math who claims to have a simple proof of Fermat's last
>> theorem (insert obligatory joke here about the margins of this post
>> being too small to contain the proof).
>>
>> There's a reason why the patent department returns claims about
>> perpetual motion machines, unopened, and it's not to suppress
>> freedom of speech - it's to avoid wasting everybody's time.
>
> I had the impression that the US Patent Department registers every
> patent
> application it receives.  That's why US patent law is such a mess.
>
> John

Not completely true, but it may seem that way sometimes.

Regarding perpetual motion machines it is a fact that the
international patent classification system has classes for such
things.  Usually getting that class on your application leads to a
final rejection, but in the US they do in fact have some granted
patents on inventions being classified as perpetual motion machines...

DagT
http://dag.foto.no

Beware of internet links. You never know what is on the other side.