Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:

>You got a job in a university and you call that a "real job" ???

Well sort of. Half, anyway: There's a considerable separation from
reality, so the "real" part is somewhat dubious. But I've taught a
college course before, and my mother spent here career as a college
professor, so I'm well aware of the enormity of the "job" part of the
deal. Lotsa work involved...

There's a whole lot of serendipity involved in my getting this job. I
picked up the Sunday (July 16) Pittsburgh Post-Gazette classified ads
on Monday morning after a busy Sunday. I noticed this teaching
position at Youngstown State University (in Ohio) that looked
tailor-made for me so I made a note to apply for it. It hadn't been in
the previous week's paper so I didn't think there would be any urgency
about it, even though something in the back of my mind thought it was
late in the year for this kind of position to be advertised.

I didn't get around to preparing my application materials until
Tuesday afternoon, at which point I noticed that the application
deadline was Wednesday, July 19 - the next day! I continued scrambling
to get materials together and zapped off a quick email to them asking
if it was OK to apply via email or if they wanted hard copy (I
mentioned, while hoping not to sound too desperate, that I'd be
willing to drive up Wednesday if necessary). On Wednesday morning I
got a reply saying email would be fine (I was just getting ready to
get in my car to drive up there) so I sent of an email with a ton of
attachments.

On Thursday morning I got a phone call asking if I could come up to
interview and give a brief demonstration lecture on Tuesday.

So I spent the weekend preparing my presentation and drove up Tuesday
morning. The woman who had led the search committee recognized me from
my web page head shot (thanks Cesar!) and I discovered that she:

Also lives in Pittsburgh and commutes to Youngstown
And lives less than two miles from me
Did the same master's program at Duquesne University that I did
And her husband teaches at Duquesne
And that she knows the guy with whom I taught the sound course at
Duquesne last year

Anyway, my presentation wen *very* well on Tuesday and they called me
at 9:00 Wednesday morning and offered me the job!

Job officially starts on Aug 16 (classes begin Aug 28) but I'm going
to be up to my eyeballs in preparation until then. I suspect the
teaching workload with new (to me) classes will severely cut down my
PDML participation time from now on. Whether that's good or bad is
another matter ;-)

--
Mark Roberts Photography & Multimedia
www.robertstech.com