Actually The pound florin and shilling were the beginnings of a decimal
coinage.  It was completed with the replacement of the old penny with new
pence.

Twenty shillings to the pound 10 Florins to the pound now each of those
coins were
directly replaced with the 5 np and 10np coins respectively.  The Brits.
decided to
go decimal almost 200 years ago.  They just did it very gradually.  (And in
fits and
starts).