"Ridiculously complicated" seems a rather odd judgement for someone
who only "thinks you are correct in your description".

I've been enjoying the process of learning more about this power
train. It's truly fascinating. I'm going to have a lot of fun poking
around in it. :-)

The design that urbanlegend1031 suggested is a form of "series"
hybrid-electric design. In that form the design devolves to an
electrically powered car with a portable generator to charge the
batteries. All motive power is ultimately from the electric motor
driving the wheels, whether with a transmission or not.

The Honda hybrids are a different "series" design, where an electric
motor assists a gas engine for efficiency but cannot operate the car
independent of that gas engine: the gas engine must be engaged with
the transmission to operate the power transfer to the drive system.

The Toyota hybrid approach is a "parallel" hybrid, where a gas engine
and electric motor(s) are able to operate separately or in concert to
produce motive power. A disengageable power coupling between the
electric motor(s) and the gas engine  distributes the drive energy to
a transmission unit, nominally some form of continuously variable
gearing in the Toyota literature although I haven't yet divined just
exactly what the transmission design is that they're ascribing
"continuously variable" to (there are several that come to mind, I
just don't know what kind they're using).

Yes, it's quite a complex design, but from all accounts they seem to
have done a superb job of it and it works very well. I'm fairly sure
at this point that this can be the most efficient as well as the most
versatile type of hybrid-electric design as it can use the best
qualities of either gas engine or electric motor depending upon the
circumstances and demands being placed on it.

How would you have designed it?

Godfrey