This talk of Flash sync got me interested in using photo flash with
digital, so I googled it.  This page turned up. Yes I was wrong M and X
sync aren't necessarily the same.  But all this seems to be dependent on
the manufacture.  I'm sure there were standards but they were probably
honored in the breach.

Well the page.  It's about using digital cameras and flash bulbs. Some
sample photos, some technical information, some testing, not a lot of
math for those who don't want to do any heavy lifting.

Warning.  The page contains a tasteful nude photo.

http://bstorage.com/speleo/bulbs/

I thought it was an interesting read.  (Now where can I find a cave,
some old FP flash bulbs, a good flashgun, and oh yea, the most important
part, a nude woman...)

--
When you're worried or in doubt,
        Run in circles, (scream and shout).