This is exactly right. I flew to Kauai with a fully
loaded Pelican 1620 case and it was locked on
departure. On arrival the lock was gone and there was
a TSA form inside notifying me that they'd gone
through it per regulations but nothing was missing. I
was told that locked bags are often targeted for
physical searches. The one thing that bugged me was
that the pressure valve on the case used to equalize
the pressure to make it easier to open on arrival was
loosened and the inside of the bag was a bit cold from
being exposed to the atmosphere inside the cargo hold
at 35,000 feet. So, there was a slight amount of
condensation on one lens case but nothing more. I
doubt if the TSA guys knew what the valve was for and
so they didn't screw it back it in all the way.

On the flight home I had it prescreened by a TSA
agent. I didn't bother to lock it this time.
Everything arrived with me in San Francisco.

-Brendan