John Mustarde (Texdance) wrote:
> I'll be spending a week in Ontario and vicinity
> starting October 27.  We will be flying into and out of
> Detroit, heading for Woodstock, Ontario. We'll have a
> car to make the requisite visit to Niagara Falls, then
> spend a week puttering around the region to see
> whatever we can find of interest.

Hi John,

Don't forget a wide-angle lens for some architecture and landscapes, if
you're into that sort of thing.  Niagara Falls is quite close to Buffalo,
and downtown Buffalo has buildings designed by Louis Sullivan, Frank Lloyd
Wright, and other notable architects.  Buffalo's Delaware Park was designed
by Frederick Law Olmsted and co-worker Calvert Vaux (the designers of New
York's Central Park).  The Albright-Knox Art Gallery has an impressive
collection of modern art, and the adjacent Erie County Historical Museum is
housed in an impressive-looking building remaining from the Pan-American
Exposition.  The historical Allentown neighborhood is home to a lot of
architecturally significant mansions.  You might want to take a look at the
following links:

http://bfn.org/preservationworks/archsites.html
http://bfn.org/preservationworks/bam/archs/archs.html
http://www.buffalocvb.org/Architecture_0.html

And while you're in the Niagara Falls area, consider the short trip over to
Lewiston, NY.  At the end of one of the main streets in Lewiston, right
along the Niagara River, you'll find the Riverside Inn.  The food is
excellent, but the collection of wines -- especially from some of the
smaller California wineries -- is absolutely amazing.  Never thought I'd be
able to order, for example, a Grgich zinfadel from a restaurant at the edge
of New York's Niagara frontier.  But they've got it in their cellar.

Good luck on your trip!

Bill Peifer
Rochester, NY