On Aug 15, 2006, at 4:05 PM, Cotty wrote:

> S is available on some Canon lenses, and others (by another
> name)    ;-)
>
> Funny, I can remember a time when just about every listmember here
> poo-
> pooed image stabilisation, decrying it as an unnecessary gimmick.
> Now it
> seems that if you're not into shake reduction, you're nowhere.
>
> Funny how things change!

Ain't that the truth!

I'm old enough to remember when in-camera meters were decried as an
unnecessary gimmick.  No "real" photographer would use such a namby-
pamby, sissy thing.  Why, the idea was just plain silly.

Years later the same comments were heard about autofocus.  Who needs
it?  I can focus better/faster myself!  No "real" photographer would
use such a silly-ass idea.

This seems to be a regular cycle with any new technology in
photography.  Today I still know people who think that digital is
just a passing fad!

Bob