I have the Dimage Scan Dual IV and it does a fairly decent job and it's a
step down from the the Elite 5400. Not quite as easy with Velvia as on other
slide films, but even there it gives acceptable (if not fiddly) scans.
Contrasty films are likely an issue to some degree or another with any
consumer film scanner.

It may depend on just how demanding one is.  For a sub-$1000 device it's
hard to expect perfection (not that anyone is).

The Konica Minolta Dimage Scan Dual IV:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/tech-data/B0001BG1SI/ref=de_a_smtd/104-8896016-6603131?ie=UTF8

It's generally available in the $300 price range.

Scott, I think you'd probably find it's results far superior to scanning
film on one of the lower range flat bed scanners.  I don't even see a
dynamic range specification offered for the 8400F when scanning film, which
is probably indicative of the fact that it's better off unmentioned.

Tom C.

"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or
numbered."