At 10:31 PM 8/17/2006, you wrote:

I definitely agree that tonal gradation is funky on cameras like the
*istDS, when compared to what the human eye sees. Last year, I traveled to
Pittsburgh for their annual "Light Up Night" festival. (One night a year,
they turn on almost every light in almost every downtown building. It
creates a beautiful city skyline.)

While I was shooting this impressive skyline at night, I could never get a
tonal gradation and consistency of color that approached what I saw with my
eyes. I tried every combination of contrast and saturation the camera had,
and nothing was close to the impressive skyline itself. When I adjusted for
reasonable highlight exposure and color balance, the shadows were always
far too dark. I could never capture the full range of tones I could see
with my eyes. I even tried playing with the RAW files in post production,
but nothing came close to the original scene. It's a real pity. The
original scene is much more impressive to the naked eye than any of my
photos will ever show.

I'd love to have a camera that handled tonal range better than the *istDS.
Don't misunderstand, I love my *istDS, but it's quite far from being the
perfect camera.

take care,
Glen