That exact thing happened to mine last year, just once though. Taking
out all batteries including the one screwed into the bottom of the
camera, for several hours, "fixed" it.

It does periodically freeze, however (I can tell it's on but I can't
affect the camera in any way). By periodically I mean twice in the
past year.

I use rechargeable NiMHs and the group's advice to me last year was to
quit using that rubbish and get something good. So now I carry around
a package of new CR3V with me, in case I need to swop over to a "good"
battery.

Let me know if the advice to re-install firmware works for you.