Never known of one to "wear out" to the point it could not be repaired,
although the M3 in some instances can't have a damaged rangefinder
repaired.  Usually they just need an adjustment rather than a full-on
repair, although shutter curtains sometimes need to be replaced.  There's
something to be said about a simple design, quality construction and
materials, and skilled, careful technicians who assemble the cameras.  I've
known some to break because of a fall or some other damage, but just plain
wearing out - nope.

Also, the design of the post-M3 cameras is such that parts are
interchangeable between older and newer models.  When I wanted to change
the rangefinder/viewfinder mechanism in my M2, I had a choice between the
M4 and several M6 rangefinders, all of which were 100% compatible with
every Leica lens ever made.

Shel