>> But the article went on to say (or perhaps began by saying) that it used
>> to be worse - around the time of the introduction of the first 1Ds only
>> 5 to 10 of the 80 units would be usable. I don't know enough about IC
>> production to know for sure how Canon has managed to reduce the number
>> of defective units, but I'm assuming that the industry has learned over
>> time how to utilise lower-quality silicon (thus reducing the effects of
>> "bad" areas on the wafer) and also minimise the number of errors in the
>> production itself. And I've also been assuming that the production
>> quality will continue to improve, which will of course be most
>> beneficial for the larger chips, thus narrowing the gap...
>>

> I do not know if the yield I quoted (20) already counted out the defects (by
> definition, yield means that after taking out the defects, right?), however,
> since they are talking about possible "zero" yield if the 20 wafer defects
> are distributed evenly, I would assume that 20/FF is a "pre-defect" yield.

I agree. I can't quite get the numbers to add up, though (see below)
> But calculating the yield count on zero defect wafer of a given size is not
> a rocket science and can be easily calculated (you do, please :-).

Not rocket science, but still the kind of thing it is a bit too late in
the evening for right now... What I mean to say, however, is that
intuitively, it seems unlikely that you can fit 10 times as many of the
APS-C sized sensors compared to the FF ones, when their area is just 2.5
times or so lower.
> They are talking about a 8' wafer and now they are pretty much going for
> 12".
> I think the article was merely trying to illustrate the problem associated
> with producing larger chips like photo sensors when the relative count of
> wafer defects have a significant impact on the yield compared with normal IC
> chips which could be produce by thousands.

Probably.

The flip side of the coin here is of course that a reduction of defects
also leads to a more significant reduction of cost.
> And Canon probably have no control over the wafer defects rate as they do
> not produce wafers (do they?)
No, I don't think so.
>  They may be exaggerating this effect in
> order to justify their high price of FF models but the zero yield could be
> theoretically true.
Quite.