Some time ago I wrote an article on trouble shooting production lines
for an industrial giant that shall be nameless. I went to Germany and
studied the lines day after day. I can tell you, without any
qualification, that the tiniest error in placement of a component on an
assembly line can cause the loss of dozens of products before an
operator can intervene. A half hour breakdown could cost (in this
particular factory) 100 000 Euro. Cameras are not like mobile phones --
which can be assembled almost completely by robots. Cameras need skilled
human hands and lots of them. But many of the components such as circuit
boards will be assembled by machine and probably somewhere else anyway.
I'm not surprised cameras are expensive, only that they are not much
more so. So Pentax must have thought this all out very carefully: 'To
warehouse or not to warehouse? That is the question.'

Don

--
Dr E D F Williams
www.kolumbus.fi/mimosa/