On Sep 4, 2006, at 8:26 AM, Dario Bonazza wrote:

>> Just responding to the thread's discourse, Dario, where it seemed to
>> be suggested that that the camera would do the switching between the
>> two modes.
>
> In practice, no. If I set the two ISO settings manually, and then
> switch the
> flash on/off manually, I switch between the two settings manually.
>
>> I still don't see what you're suggesting would offer as any different
>> from two or more user-configurable pre-set setup options.
>
> The purpose of my double setting is allowing to shoot say 300
> pictures in
> two hours - 150 of which are shot with a flash and 150 are with
> available
> light only - and prevent I have to change the sensitivity setting
> (or the
> user setup option) back and forth 150+150 times in the dark.
>

> That's the reason for the double ISO setting I ask for.
> With such a function, I can set the two settings once at the
> beginning of
> the shooting session and be OK for the night.

Well, with the A2, for this purpose I would set up a user setting 1
for the ambient work and user setting 2 for the flash work, user
setting 3 for .. etc, up to 5. Then it's just click-click to change
the camera configuration between 5 different settings groups. I'd
forget what I'd set by the next session a day later, so I'd re-set
them specifically again. Although I don't normally use the feature (I
don't normally have two/three specific setups for a single shooting
session that would make it such an advantage ... which is why I never
become familiar enough with it to remember how to set it up, etc), it
seems like it addresses *exactly* what you want.

>> My Konica
>> Minolta A2 has three. I find I don't use them as I too frequently
>> forget what I've configured *and* find that I forget how to define
>> them. I find it takes me less effort and time to change the ISO than
>> to fuss with the presets.
>
> I fully agree with you here. The D also has three of them and I
> never use
> them for the same reason.

So why can't you do the same thing you're proposing with the D's
custom user setups already? I could see the feature being useful this
sort of thing, if this is indeed a situation you come across often.

Godfrey