[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On 10/09/06, Gonz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

>>So is the limitation the number of photons available, or the amount of
>>photons that actually get captured and detected?  I.e. if the sensor can
>>hold 65K photons, were there many more than this many that it could have
>>captured?  65K photons sounds like a measly amount in terms of such a
>>small particle.

The 65K photons/photosite holding part I understand completely.  What
troubles me is that figure (x2 for the 50% efficiency) for the actual
number of photons landing on that spot in the chip.  It just seems like
a mind boggling small number compared to the usual numbers we talk about
when dealing with atoms and such (remember 6.023e23 Avogadros #).  I
guess maybe its due to the photosite being so small and the time being
so short (shutter speed)?