In this kind of technology, most of the value of newer products is in
the research and development. Manufacturing plays a smaller part,
especially for high-end newest toys.

Over time, competition pushes prices down while the technology becomes
mainstream. Under this pressure, the manufacturing cost remains more or
less the same, but prices still must go down. Eventually, the older
models street prices become very close to the manufacturing costs,
margins become as thin as cigarette paper, and older models are
eventually discontinued after a few years.

My approach is to buy such things, say, at 2/3 to 3/4 of their
commercial lifetime. I get proven technology, with all upgrades and
feedback from other users, at a very fair price.

Therefore, I bought my *ist DS only last year when prices suddenly fell
way down. Next step will probably be an AS body (K100D?), but as I do
not *need* this feature (I just would love to have it!), I'll most
probably wait a couple years.

Of course, I may act a bit differently if photography was not just a
leisure, but I needed maximum productivity.

Ultimately the question is all about what one *needs* at one particular
time. My current 6 Mpix DSLR is far more than I could have dreamt of
just a few years ago.

Patrice