On Sep 11, 2006, at 8:02 PM, Matt Kelch wrote:

> Doesn't CF use a modified IDE interface?  That might be a large
> part of
> why its still around.

I'm not sure about CF using or being a modified IDE. It stands for
"Integrated Drive Electronics" and is a standard dreamt up to
integrate drive controllers into the motherboard of a computer system
and reduce cost. IDE is almost a synonym for ATA ("Advanced
Technology Attachment").

CF has what I usually think of as a smaller form factor PCMCIA
("Personal Computer Memory Card International Association") card (aka
PC Card) interface, which was extended in rev 2 or 3 specification to
include CardBus, a smaller form factor PCI ("Peripheral Component
Interconnect") card bus. Many many different devices have been
supported by PCMCIA type card specifications, including ATA/IDE devices.

Godfrey