>> Differently put, some of what this 22-bit thingy is about, is probably
>> that the signal is converted to digital a bit earlier in the sequence,
>> so as to speak. This does eliminate some sources of noise -
>> probably not
>> the most significant ones, but still...
>> [ ... ]
>>
> Certainly an interesting conjecture ...
>
> Much as I enjoy understanding how the little beastie works, however,
> I'm likely going to refrain from stripping it apart to deconstruct
> and understand all the details...
Oh, come on, what can possibly be more fun than picking something
expensive apart just to find out how it works - and destroy it
completely in the process? Always loved it as a child. Still do ;-)
>  I'm more interested to see how it
> performs in picture taking than on a lab bench.

Seriously, though, you are absolutely right, of course.

As long as you know enough to be sure that all those "good-looking"
pictures you are seeing aren't a result of some fancy piece of
image-processing that would utterly and completely ruin your photos in
other situations...

- Toralf