Most complaints about excessive noise at reasonable ISO settings are,
in my experience, almost always due to underexposure.

Digital exposure evaluation should be predicated on getting as much
exposure as possible without saturating the pixels where you want
detail in the highlights, and then adjusting the RAW conversion curve
to accommodate the specific lighting circumstances.

While I shoot primarily at ISO 200-400 to increase dynamic range as
much as possible, I've gotten excellent, low noise results even at
ISO 1600 with proper exposure.

Godfrey