On Wed, Sep 13, 2006 at 06:12:53PM -0700, Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:

> On Sep 13, 2006, at 5:27 PM, Mark Roberts wrote:
>
> >> Look at this official pentax page, http://www.pentaxslr.com/bodies/
> >> k10
> >> and you'll find these words: "Power zoom function not available"
> >>
> >> Now scroll down to the bottom of the same page and download the
> >> official PDF promotional document
> >> (http://www.pentaxslr.com/pdf/K10D_Specs.pdf) and open it. There
> >> you'll read this: "Power zoom function - Available"
> >
> > On the DP Review Pentax forum "JohnCPentax", from Golden, Colorado,
> > says the power zoom *is* functional with Power Zoom lenses, but that
> > the special Power Zoom functions like image tracking, etc. are not.
>
> Amusing but, honestly, I have never found power zoom and all that
> business to be of any use at all. I've had several fixed-lens cameras
> that had it and it was always in my way, I turned off all tracking
> and wish I'd been able to turn off power zoom functions. I much
> prefer a zoom control that operates precisely, manually, when I want
> to use a zoom lens.

And that's what you get, if you so choose, with a power zoom lens.
Just as the focus ring of a FA* lens has two positions - one for
manual focus, one for auto focus - the zoom ring of a power zoom
lens can be set either as a standard two-touch manual zoom, or as
a spring-loaded switch to select one of three powered zoom speeds.
Personally I found power zoom at the lowest speed to be at least
as precise as manual zoom, and appreciated the fact that I could
also choose to zoom over the full range of a lens with only a small
amount of hand movement.

I wouldn't be all that upset if Power Zoom had been dropped - after
all, I've been managing without it for the last three years - but as
it's there I expect I'll use it again.