I have  been very impressed with the performance of the FA 80-320/4.5-5.6. It's
not the sharpest tool in the shed, but it is very good for the money. It sells
new for below $200 and used for significantly less. I posted a shot from the
zoo just recently. This is at 320mm, hand held, wide open:
http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=4894709&size=lg