If you move the camera at all after the metering has been set with
the AE-Lock button, the EV value will reflect the difference between
what is now in the meter's sight and what was metered on. It's quite
sensitive. I often find it is off by .2 to .7 EV in either direction
because I don't have the subject centered exactly the same way.

But it is definitely setting the null point.

Godfrey