From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of John
Francis
Sent: 19. september 2006 08:49
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List
Subject: Re: 50/1.4 or 1.2 for the DSLR Bodies

On Mon, Sep 18, 2006 at 07:46:37PM -0700, Brendan MacRae wrote:

> --- Doug Franklin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > John Francis wrote:
> >
> > > These shots (which many here have seen before)
> > were taken using a monopod
> > > and the monster zoom.  In fact a good number of my
> > motorsports shots were
> > > taken with the 300/f2.8 (with or without the 1.7x
> > AF adapter) or the big
> > > zoom, and I almost always use a monopod with them.
> > >
> > >   http://panix.com/~johnf/temp/PortlandPitStop.jpg
> > >   http://panix.com/~johnf/temp/CityStreets.jpg
> >
> > Beauty, John.  Those are great shots.  I'm working
>

> Here, here. The first with all of the fumes rising up
> toward the top right of the frame...excellent, really
> striking.
>
> -Brendan

As a matter of fact, those aren't fumes - it's clear-air
turbulence caused by the heat rising from the engines.

It's a shot that makes itself - there's a nice little nook
at the end of pit out where three or four photographers can
cluster.  This one was from the prime position (front & low).
All you need is a sunny day, and a long lens (600mm or so).
I've got a similar shot from a few years later, but that one
isn't quite as good, to my mind - the pose of the figures
isn't as dynamic as this one.

I'm actually prouder of the second shot - that's one that I
visualised first, and went looking for somewhere to make it.