K.Takeshita wrote:
> On 9/19/06 10:31 AM, "Jens Bladt", <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

>>I actually love the traditional layout and functionality of a SLR/DSLR, that
>>enables me to see through the actual image rendering lens - through filters
>>and other stuff I put in front of the lens. A lot of people feel the same
>>wasy I suppose, which may explain why this concept is the most successful
>>ever.
>

> EVF provides the same TTL advantage as the optical viewfinders in SLRs
> except electronically.  I am fully aware that the current EVF is like a toy,
> mostly because of low resolution and slow refresh rate, making it suitable
> for cheaper digicam only (for now).  I used to own
> I know a lot of SLR enthusiasts have a knee jerk reactions just by hearing
> EVF.  But there are many industry people who now predict that EVF will gain
> momentum in the near future.  That's why I was curious about the reaction of
> PDMLers here.  Forget about the current generation of EVFs which are nowhere
> near the replacement of the optical viewfinder.  Quite sometime ago, I used
> to own one of the Nikon Coolpix 8000 series camera (don't remember the exact
> model) which had an EVF but the resolution was so low and immediately
> switched to Canon G3, which was an excellent camera but the lens interfered
> with the viewfinder.  Then, I peeped thru one of the K/M models with EVF and
> was surprised to see the resolution (I think it was near 1mp) and throught
> EVF should not be written off, not as yet.
>
> But again, I was just curious and have had no intention to "disturb" people
> and cause "allergic" reaction :-).
>
> Ken

Frankly, even the SLR viewfinder is a compromise with lenses under 100mm
in length. A good rangefinder (Leica or Cosina Voightlander) has a
notably superior viewfinder to any SLR, and more accurate focusing with
shorter lenses.

But as to EVF's, they're inherently laggy. Given that LCD refresh times
are bottoming out (around 5ms) and the fact that you HAVE to process the
sensor's output before displaying it, you're going to see lag, which you
won't get with an optical finder. And resolution is inherently limited
as well, you can only makes pixels so small.

The Industry wants them, as they're cheaper than even a pentamirror. But
I see them being as successful on the market as ZLR's. Note how
reasonably priced DSLR's have essentially killed off the market for EVF
P&S cameras, only a few survive, mostly from makers without a solid DSLR
presence (Fuji and Sony). The optical viewfinders, even ones as crappy
as the Digital Rebel's or Nikon D50/D70 finders, are distinctly superior
to EVF's and don't lag.

-Adam