--- graywolf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
<< The North Atlantic is a dark and stormy sea in the
wintertime. >>

The North Atlantic can be a dark and stormy sea any
time of year... And it can also be quite pleasant if
you're lucky.

<< Thank you for joining out "Masochists Special"
winter cruise." >>

First, let's get this straight: if you cross the
Atlantic by sea, it's a CROSSING, not a CRUISE.

BIG difference.

And there is actually a sizeable group of people who
routinely cross the North Atlantic in wintertime just
for fun. It's unofficially known as the "Winter
Crossing Club".

You see, every year, the grande dame of the seas, RMS
QUEEN ELIZABETH 2 (which was launched 39 years ago
today) does one mid-winter crossing, westbound from
Southampton to New York. Previously it was a
positioning voyage to get to New York before her
annual Christmas cruise from New York to the
Caribbean; now the Christmas cruise is done by the new
QUEEN MARY 2 so it is in early January, after a
Christmas cruise from Southampton to the Canaries, and
it forms the first leg of the annual World Cruise.

A pretty big group of people have made a habit of
taking this crossing pretty much every year. Most of
them are ship buffs (like me - see my e-mail address)
and it has become a major social event of the year for
Club members.

After hearing about it for years from friends, I
finally made my first winter crossing this past
January. Paradoxically, the weather was fine! It got
into the 50˚F range during the day and we had only
one night of moderately rough seas (perhaps 15-20 ft).
A lot of people were quite disappointed. However,
weather this good is certainly unusual on the North
Atlantic in January.

As for icebergs; you will not see them on the Atlantic
in winter... The ice comes out in the SPRING when
things start melting up in Greenland! Note that the
TITANIC hit that famous berg in April... Not the
middle of winter.

<< it may just be that there is a market for
passengers who want to bring their swiss army knife
and laptop battery with them. >>

Laptop battery, yes. Swiss Army Knife... I'm not sure.

This past January, the eminent maritime historian John
Maxtone-Graham tried to bring his sgian dubh aboard,
as part of his Scottish Highland formalwear. They
wouldn't let him. But then, there's a big difference
between a sgian dubh and a Swiss Army Knife...

New Doug