I thought about that, too. It looks to be an old
rental lens from his store, so it had seen some use,
for sure. Still, I lean towards not since it was
packaged poorly and my experience with UPS Ground
service is that they're pretty rough with ground
packages. Plus, with any slower service, the package
is handled more over a longer period of time raising
the risk of damage. Also, a lens with IF is slightly
more delicate than one without where the element turns
externally for focus in that you can physically
restrain the length of the lens so it won't move.
That's not possible on a lens with IF so a really
sharp jar along the longitudinal axis can screw things
up in the focusing helicoid.

Being a retailer I figure he's not likely interested
in trying to screw anyone. I would think it's quite a
risk considering that UPS could just as easily refuse
the claim (especially since there was no "obvious"
external damage to the box), in which case he's got to
cough up a refund or face a fraud charge and/or
negative feedback. In this instance it cost UPS $200
for the repair.

Still, you never know. I'm sure people get away with
all the time.

-Brendan