Hi Paul,

The hood on the 50-200 isn't a tulip hood (unless your definition is
different than mine and that of others as well), and it's much wider at the
front than it needs to be.  Not only is it bulky, but designed the way it
is, with a wide opening tapering down to the bayonet mount on the lens, can
allow too much stray light to get in under the right circumstances.  Since
I don't have the hood here, I can't measure it, but I'm estimating the wide
end is almost 4" in diameter, far more than it needs to be and quite
inefficient.  I now have fully three inches of length on the hood here with
a maximum diameter at the front of only 2.5 inches.  There is absolutely no
vignetting with a 50mm (K50/1.2) lens at the closest focusing distance,
i.e., with the lens fully extended, and every indication that the lens can
be made deeper or somewhat narrower with no adverse effects.

Of course, the design of the 50-200 may be such that with so narrow and
deep a hood, there may be some vignetting, yet that remains to be seen, and
try as I might, I can't figure out how that could be.

Shel