I´m not muslim (or much of anything religious at all) but my brother
has family in the largest muslim state in the world, Indonesia.  I´ve
been there and taken picturesin the streets, and it was no problem.
Thus I think any objections may be seen as more cultural than
religious dependent, depending on how they practice their religion.

I did try to take pictures in the late 80´s just north of Caucasus
and there you could find out what religion they had in the area by
trying to take a picture.  If they through things at you, they were
muslims, of the posed, they were some kind of christians.

I think you just have to listen to the locals.  Ask them.  If they
accept it you can take pictures.

DagT

PS: Did you known that the old testament has the same rule against
images of people?

Den 24. sep. 2006 kl. 23.19 skrev Vic Mortelmans:

> Hi,
>
> This forum has discussed legal objections to street photography many
> times. When I do street photograpy, it's not that often that I really
> take a frame on individual people, so I don't really bother about
> that.
> If people are in the picture, they're mostly unaware and part of a
> crowd
> or passing by at some distance. Moreover, I'm an amateur and don't
> publish photographs, so I don't see any problem in that area.
>
> Today I was at a public street community fair (kind of garage sail)
> taking some pictures. Again: not framing individual people, but just
> catching the environment. Since we live in a multi-cultural city, I
> happened to frame a sale stand where a family of muslim people was
> looking around. One of the women directly signaled me that she opposed
> to have a picture taken. I know that this is forbidden by the islam
> religon.
>
> I have a dual feeling about this.
>
> On the one hand, I can fully understand people to oppose to being
> photographed, be it for religious reasons, privicy reason or
> economical
> reaons (if the pictures are commercialized), or whatever. That's the
> main reason why I'm not in to street photography with direct
> contact to
> the subject; I know the risk that the reaction is negative and having
> arguments or even a row would make me loose the pleasure of taking
> pictures.
>
> On the other hand, I feel uncomfertable that a couple of muslim people
> mingling in a crowd can prohibit me to take pictures. What if I would
> have been photographing my 2 year old son running around through the
> street and they happened to be in the background... Strictly spoken,
> that would have objected them as well, I guess. They're just part of a
> crowd.
>
> And I also have a third thought about this (but I hope I don't start a
> polemic discussion on this). I'm myself a practicing roman
> catholic, so
> I (think I) know what religion is about. Nevertheless, I can't imagine
> to interact with other people in my city community in this
> defensive (*)
> manner, based on my religious practice. But maybe I'm a bad
> catholic...
>
> Anyway, this is my (little) story... I'd like to hear some reaction to
> that! Maybe this forum numbers some muslim photographers? That
> would be
> really interesting!
>
> Groeten,
>
> Vic
>
> (*) note: I put the woman's reaction as being defensive, implying
> that I
> was the one to be offensive, starting to take the picture. That's just
> fair for the sake of the discussion.

DagT
http://dag.foto.no

Beware of internet links. You never know what is on the other side.