Thanks Tom, Adam, WW, Godders and anyone else i missed.

Gives me a lot to think about now.

Sounds like a book is in order to.

Just wish i could find a studio course at night around here, but i
have not been successful. Ther was one a few years back, i miised out
and now they are not offering it anymore.

Dave

Quoting graywolf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Just a comment, the Vivitar 283 only has a GN of 120 in their
> advertising. Real world GN confirmed many times via flash metering, and
> results with slides is 80. Point that into an Umbrella and you have
> maybe a GN of 25-30. With my 200WS Normans I get an honest GN of 160,
> pointing them into 36 inch umbrellas I can get 10 feet at f5.6 (GN 56),
> or so, in living room sized rooms. ASA 100, so probably could get f/8.0
> at ASA 200. For portraits you are probably working at 5 feet or so,
> hence my previous comment that 200WS would be adequate (assuming the the
> strobe has low power provisions) for the type of work Dave was talking
> about. I do believe that with dogs and such you would want more DOF than
> for people shots too so you are not going to be shooting at f/2.8.
>
> I will stick with my comments that 200WS per light is great for small
> location work, and that 400WS per light will work for most commercial
> location stuff. If you need more than that, you probably already know
> exactly what you are doing, rent a couple of 2400WS Speedotrons (the
> commercial photographers best friend) <grin>.
>
> BTW, modeling lights can be rigged to most any strobe. All you need is a
> small flood light rigged to point the same direction as the flash unit.
> If your lighting needs to be more detailed than that you are probably
> better off working with Fresnel hot lights.
>
> --
> graywolf
> http://www.graywolfphoto.com
> http://webpages.charter.net/graywolf
> "Idiot Proof" <==> "Expert Proof"
> -----------------------------------
>

> Brian Dunn wrote:
>>> What I found was the smaller flashes just
>>> didn't have enough power.
>>
>> Silvered umbrellas help a bit ( Photogenic Eclipse, I think they are
>> called... ).  I get around F8 at ISO 200 with two silvered umbrellas at a
>> resonable working distance for small groups.  GN 120 flashes, Vivitar 285
>> HVs.  Recycle time and the need to change batteries every now and then are
>> still issues, though.  For location work with monolights, you might want to
>> invest in the monolight system's big battery pack units to avoid running
>> cables to an outlet ( if there is one ), and possibly tripping breakers if
>> everyone's on the same aged circuit ( photog lights, video lights,
>> DJ system,
>> etc. )
>>

>> Brian

Equine Photography in York Region