graywolf wrote:
> Because in the country they tend to be self-employed (micro-businesmen),
> and in the cities they tend to be employees? Republicans in general do
> not seem to think anyone who works with their hands should be paid
> decently or have any rights, and are really ought to be indentured
> servants if not outright slaves.

I think you need to talk to more Republicans if you think that is the
case. They tend to think that the labour market (including Unions btw)
does a better job of ensuring worker's rights and pay than governmental
fiat. Now that's not universal, but it's definitely a major strain in
GOP thought.

-Adam