That's pretty cheap-assed!  Did they want you to pay for the modem, too?
  When Time-Warner installed broadband for me they were all ready to
tear open the case and install an ethernet card by the time I had a
chance to tell them I already had one.  Sounds like TW guy didn't
want/didn't know how to install ethernet.  No doubt figured he'd plug
into the USB and be outta there in 15 minutes instead of doing the job
right.

-P