Shel Belinkoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> So, if wide angles lenses are so important to you, and Pentax doesn't seem
> to make an acceptable w/a, why are you using Pentax gear?

I bought into the system at a time when extreme wide-angle lenses
weren't necessary. The 2.8/28 mm was the shortest Pentax lens I've ever
used on analog Pentax bodies. While not a stellar performer, I found it
to be acceptable for my purposes.

Then, I inherited a complete Contarex system which I've been very happy
with for a number of years until service became practically
unaffordable.

Faced with the need to look for an alternative and with a bunch of
Pentax lenses and bodies still in a drawer I bought a second-hand LX and
a new *istDS which, in turn, created the requirement for shorter focal
lengths. Bought the 15 mm, a 4.5/21 mm, a 2.8/24 mm, and a 2.8/35 mm on
ebay.

The 21 mm is fine and I really love it. But the distorsion of the 24 mm
is a shame and I'm still looking for a working 2.8/35 mm after I had to
return the three I've bought so far.

Besides, I wouldn't expect things to be all peaches and honey with the
other brands either.

Given the choice, I'd probably go for the new Fuji S5 - if only for the
dynamic range which would be a definite plus for my night stuff -
provided it came with a better viewfinder than its predecessors.

Ralf

--
Ralf R. Radermacher  -  DL9KCG  -  Köln/Cologne, Germany
private homepage: http://www.fotoralf.de