On Sep 28, 2006, at 1:54 PM, William Robb wrote:

>> I can't see that tonality is any problem at all: although it takes a
>> fair bit of rendering skill and work, 12-bit digital has at least as
>> much tonal range as the best films.
>
> I find this hard to believe based on what I see coming off my
> printer vs
> the Zone VI Brilliant prints I have hanging on my walls.
> Granted, I haven't invested a whole bunch of time learning computer
> based B&W rendering, but to be honest, my B&W film work is pretty much
> plug and play, so my expectation is that digital should be pretty easy
> as well.

You've invested enough time and effort to learn how to do B&W to
whatever degree satisfies you with film and darkroom, but see no
point to learning how to do it with digital capture and inkjet
printing? That says one thing:

Don't let the boundaries of your experience and expertise be mistaken
for the limitations of the medium.

>> Detail resolution ... it depends on the size of the print you want to
>> make. Landscapes tend to be large in size and large-scale prints from
>> digital capture aren't quite there yet with only up to 39Mpixel to
>> work with compared to 4x5.
>
> I haven't ever had access to a 39mp camera, and I expect that
> something
> with that many megapixels would be mondo expensive, which makes it non
> existent from my perspective.

I've not used one either, but if you're looking for landscape quality
in BIG prints that can compete with 4x5 film, that's where you want
to go. Yes, such cameras are very expensive ... I can't afford it
either.

Godfrey