On Sep 29, 2006, at 8:00 AM, Shel Belinkoff wrote:

> And while it's true that there are benefits that accrue to the
> company in
> having independent contractors, there are also benefits to having
> those
> people as employees as well.  It all depends on the situation,
> what's most
> important to the parties involved, and individual values.

Absolutely right.  In my case I was an IC for more than 20 years.  I
was expected to keep regular office hours, be available to travel at
the company's behest, solve problems outside my field of operation,
and do many other things typical of employees.  I had all of the
responsibilities of an employee, but none of the benefits.  I wanted
to become an employee, but they weren't interested.  I stayed because
I liked my job, the money was decent, and I had promises of "job
security" from the owner of the company, as well as a number of other
promises.  But then he sold the company, and the new owners did not
feel any responsibility to honor those promises, and there's the
rub.  I've been told that I was probably a "statutory employee" if I
chose to push it, but haven't had the energy to pursue that.

Bob