On Sep 29, 2006, at 7:49 AM, Bertil Holmberg wrote:

> What are the chances for a really wide compact lens?
>
> I've got the DA 21mm F3.2AL Limited which is 155 grams, while the DA
> 14/f2.8 is 420 grams (+hood) large.
> It would be nice with something lighter and more compact now that the
> K10D will be almost 800 grams ;-)
>
> Would a smaller super wide lens be possible at all? Not having to
> cover the wide field of 36mm film would make the design easier,
> wouldn't it?

Well, the DA14/2.8 is already smaller and 30% lighter than the Nikon
14mm f/2.8 (which covers 24x36 mm), never mind half the price. If you
want speed, you will have size and weight to go along with a short
focal length lens like this. If there was a market for an f/4.5
ultrawide in this range, it could be smaller and lighter ...

Personally, I doubt it. I would love to see a 16mm f/2.8 lens on the
same order of size and weight as the DA21/3.2, and (my dream) a
DA28/2 Limited that's the same size too.

Godfrey