Hmm. I don't recall receiving any files, but it *has* been really
pretty busy lately and I might have missed them.

Similar to Paul's effort, I find that for some images you just need
to pull the shadows down with a Levels/Curves adjustment layer to
push the noise into solid black. Here's an example ... I layered a
Levels correction and a Curves correction on the left side image, you
can compare it to the right hand one:

   http://homepage.mac.com/godders/IMGP3536.jpg

Sometimes you can do the same with a simple S-curve adjustment using
the Curves tool.

Godfrey